THE POSITION The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the regular and full-time position of Water Distribution Superintendent in the Environmental Utilities Department. The list established for this recruitment may also be utilized to fill any limited term vacancies within the Environmental Utilities department. The term length for limited term placements is not guaranteed but cannot exceed 36 months. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm; a flex schedule may be available.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
DEFINITION To plan, organize and direct the activities of the water distribution operations section within the Environmental Utilities Department; to coordinate section activities with other divisions or departments; and to provide highly responsible technical support to the Water Utility Manager.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED Receives general direction from the Water Utility Manager. Exercises direct supervision over assigned supervisory and technical and maintenance personnel.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Recommend and implement section goals and objectives; establish performance standards and methods for water distribution activities; develop and implement policies and procedures.
• Plan, develop and oversee the work of staff involved in water distribution operations, and related construction and maintenance activities.
• Evaluate operations and activities of assigned unit; implement improvements and modifications; prepare various reports on operations and activities.
• Participate in budget preparation and administration; prepare cost estimates for budget recommendations; submit justifications for staff, materials, and supplies; monitor and control expenditure.
• Participate in the selection of staff; coordinate staff training; conduct performance evaluations; recommend discipline; implement discipline procedures as directed.
• Answer questions and provide information to the public; investigate complaints and recommend corrective action as necessary to resolve complaints.
• Direct water distribution operations, including related construction/maintenance activities; conduct site inspections on a periodic basis or as required by circumstances to ensure compliance with standards and regulations; direct and oversee compliance with regulations governing water distribution systems.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Principles and practices of public works facilities construction and maintenance related to water distribution systems.
• Pertinent local, State, Federal rules, regulations and laws.
• Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
• Principles and practices of research analysis and management.
• Budgeting procedures and techniques.
• Principles and practices of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
• Principles and practices of work safety.
• Organize, implement and direct water distribution operations/activities.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk for long periods of time; intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds of less.
• Interpret and explain pertinent water utility and department policies and procedures.
• Assist in the development and monitoring of an assigned program budget.
• Develop and recommend policies and procedures related to assigned operations.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff.
Experience and Training
• Five years of increasingly responsible experience in water distribution construction and maintenance, including two years of supervisory responsibility.
• An Associate degree, or 60 semester units of college level course work including 18 units in a major field of study and 21 units in general education, from an accredited college or university, preferably with major course work in water distribution technology practices or a related field, or successful completion of the Water Distribution System Operation and Maintenance certificate program as offered by the California State University Sacramento Office of Water Programs or equivalent. Two years of related work experience can substitute for an Associate’s Degree.
License or Certificate
• Possession of a valid California driver’s license by date of appointment.
• Possession of a Water Distribution Operator Grade 4 (D4) certificate issued by the State of California Division of Drinking Water by date of application.
• A Water Distribution Operator Grade 5 (D5) certificate issued by the State of California Division of Drinking Water must be obtained within one year of date of appointment.
• Possession of a Water Treatment Operator Grade 2 (T2) certificate issued by the State of California Division of Drinking Water is desirable.
Please visit, www.roseville.ca.us/jobs to apply.