The Superintendent plans, organizes, directs and oversees the objectives assigned to the Water Distribution & Production Division. This position is responsible for all aspects of operating the water distribution and production systems; performs general and direct supervision of personnel involved in the operation, construction, maintenance, and repair of the Company’s water system facility.
The Superintendent is a key member of Bellflower-Somerset Mutual Water Company’s management and leadership team who exemplifies collaboration and innovation to live our purpose of “Bringing Life to Our Community.” Positions in this class require extensive knowledge of the operation and maintenance of the water system. Employees in this class are expected to exercise independent judgement in the performance of a variety of professional, technical, complex, and difficult management duties under the direction of the General Manager.
Example of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
Qualifications Knowledge of:
- Plan, assign, and lead personnel responsible for the installation, maintenance, and/or repair of water mains, water services, water meters, fire hydrants, valves and related appurtenances.
- Expand, implement and evaluate preventive maintenance programs associated with the water distribution and production systems.
- Mentor, train, develop and lead support staff in the direction of our purpose.
- Represent the Company in interactions with consulting engineers, contractors, vendors, fire department staff or local public works representatives regarding Company projects or programs.
- Manage Capital Improvement Projects including preparation of annual budget, planning and implementation of short and long term projects; coordinate tasks with consultants and contractors.
- Work in partnership with the management team to create and embody organizational values
- Procure mandatory permits or other work authorization documents.
- Respond to specific customer inquiries/complaints regarding water service or delivery pressures, water quality, fire flow information and DigAlerts.
- Review/approve material and equipment supply orders.
- Perform, direct, review and record inspections of water distribution and production projects in progress.
- Provide technical assistance to resolve difficult work problems.
- Instruct subordinates in proper work techniques and safe use of equipment; keep accurate records in a day-to-day log.
- Collaborate with office staff in coordinating meter reading schedules, new service installations, construction water service requests, and water service disconnects and reconnects.
- Collaborate with office staff in response to customer inquiries regarding billing, water service, and water quality complaints.
- Oversee Company fleet and equipment; maintain, organize and repair records.
- Administer utility line and appurtenances locating program.
- Administer water meter testing and water meter replacement program and coordinate work with outside meter testing/repair service providers.
- Evaluate the productivity of subordinates and prepare performance reviews annually or as required.
- Review and approve time reports for proper allocation of time and control of overtime costs.
- Maintain a variety of records and information.
- Administer subordinate disciplinary actions as directed.
- Respond to emergency situations, may be assigned to emergency stand-by duty watch.
- Responsible for updating all safety training.
- Commitment to learning and improving industry knowledge by attending select workshops, seminars or conferences.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Potable and recycled water distribution systems and complex operational situations.
- Methods, materials, practices and equipment typically used in the construction, maintenance and repair of water distribution and production systems.
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws and regulations.
- Comprehensive understanding of the Company’s water distribution, SCADA and production systems.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Advanced hydraulic principles as they relate to water distribution and production systems.
- Principles and practices of supervision, staff training and performance reviews.
- Water disinfection principles and practices.
- Acceptable practices of applying disciplinary actions.
Experience and Education
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Plan, organize, direct and supervise the installation, maintenance and repair of water service and distribution systems.
- Understand and perform basic computer operations used in business environments.
- Review and evaluate methods and practices that ensure acceptable service level standards.
- Continually evaluate water distribution system infrastructure and resources to stay ahead of anticipated obsolescence, growth or development.
- Provide specific input for short and long-range planning strategies.
- Analyze subordinate staffing requirements, scheduling and deployment.
- Develop and evaluate emergency response procedures.
- Anticipate potential issues and suggest resolutions to adverse conditions.
- Demonstrate initiative and independent judgment.
- Provide supervision, training, guidance to assigned staff.
- Read and interpret plans, specifications, and diagrams that impact Company operations.
- Research information and prepare reports.
- Professionally represent the Company with the public, contractors, and other organizations or agencies.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with personnel assigned to other divisions.
- Provide leadership and motivation for personnel to maintain/improve productivity standards.
- Establish a consistent track record of using sound judgment and common sense.
- Objectively embrace changes in procedures or policies.
- Administer conflict resolution.
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be considered qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
High school diploma and advanced course work in water distribution principles is highly desirable. Special Requirements
- A valid (Class C) California Drivers’ License
- Required to pass a physical examination which includes an initial drug screening with subsequent random fit-to-work evaluations.
- Certification as a California, Department of Public Health, Grade T2, Water Treatment Operator.
- Certification as a California, Department of Public Health, Grade D3, Water Distribution Operator.
- Backflow Prevention and Cross Connection Control Certifications (ASSE Series 5000) desirable
The purveyance of potable water is an essential service to the community, as such, requires the availability of Company personnel at all times. Consequently, employees will be required to respond to emergency calls, accept periodic overtime assignments, and perform any and all duties deemed necessary by the Company. Fair Labor Standards Act:
Exempt Salary Range:
(DOQ) $8,868 - $11,461 monthly Benefits
- Full Time 9/80 (Alternating Fridays off)
- Vacation Time, Sick Leave and Holidays
- Employer Paid Medical, Dental and Vision (for family)
- 401(k) Deferred Compensation Money Purchase Pension Plan
- Educational Reimbursement
- Employer Paid Life Insurance
Bellflower-Somerset is "an equal opportunity employer" and will consider reasonably accommodating qualified disable persons. Application and Selection Process
- Application Deadline: March 31, 2023
- First Round interview tentatively scheduled for week of April 10, 2023
The most appropriate qualified applicant will be invited to continue in the selection process which may consist of competency testing (including a practical exam), a written exercise and oral interviews by Company personnel or qualified individuals from other public agencies or any combination thereof. The Company expressly reserves the right to change the selection process in order to identify the most qualified candidates as required by federal and state law.
Job offers are contingent upon a pre-employment medical examination and drug testing.
To be considered for this opportunity, a resume is required along with online application. To see full job description and to apply visit our website for more information: https://www.bsmwc.com
. Submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org