West Basin Municipal Water District is a California Special District that wholesales potable and recycled water to local public and investor-owned water utilities in the coastal area of Los Angeles County. West Basin serves a population of nearly one million residents in 17 cities and unincorporated areas along the coastal corridor from Palos Verdes to Malibu in addition to commercial, industrial, and institutional users in the area. West Basin is a national leader in water recycling, conservation, ocean-water desalination exploration, and water resource management and education programs. Headquartered in Carson, West Basin is governed by an elected five-member Board of Directors and is a member agency of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.
West Basin operates the Edward C. Little Water Recycling Facility (ECLWRF) in El Segundo as well as and three satellite facilities within its service areas. ECLWRF is the largest treatment facility of its kind in the world with a recycled treatment capacity of 40 million gallons per day. These facilities produce a total of five types of high quality "designer" recycled water delivered to over 300 sites through 100 miles of pipelines for commercial, industrial, and irrigation non-potable purposes. Additionally, West Basin is responsible for producing advance treated recycled water for injection into the West Coast Seawater Barrier Project for potable reuse. West Basin has been researching environmentally responsible ocean-water desalination and operates a Water Education Center in Redondo Beach that showcases the findings of these research efforts.
West Basin is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity in our recruitment process and programs. West Basin is committed to customer service and seeks to provide our customers with the most qualified and exceptional professional services through those we employ.
THE POSITION: West Basin is seeking an enthusiastic and skilled Part-Time Public Information and Outreach Assistant who will be responsible for facilitating and providing tours of West Basin’s Edward C. Little Water Recycling facility to civic and community groups, water professionals, and others. The Public Information and Outreach Assistant will also provide a variety of information about West Basin programs by assisting with the coordination and scheduling of tours and other public information opportunities such as lunch and learns or speaking events; and perform administrative support tasks. The Public Information and Outreach Assistant position is a part-time, at-will position where work hours are flexible and average approximately 24 hours per week.
Key responsibilities are:
• Lead tour groups of all ages and backgrounds of up to approximately 25 people per tour; provide factual, prepared lectures and information about West Basin programs, including water conservation, recycling, and ocean-water desalination topics, in an interesting, engaging, and enjoyable manner; respond to inquiries in a courteous manner and provide information within area of responsibility.
• Educate the public on Southern California’s water system, conservation, water recycling, and ocean-water desalination.
• Work outreach events and table booths promoting West Basin programs; visit target groups, such as civic organizations, to promote West Basin programs; and contact various groups to solidify tour visitation.
• Prepare West Basin facilities for tours (e.g., notify and work with staff to ensure site is tidy, etc.).
• Assist with tour coordination including tour scheduling, confirmation, follow-up communications, and administrative tour support (e.g., download website registration data); communicate with security company to notify of upcoming tour attendants for parking purposes; and coordinate with necessary parties for special events logistics.
• Perform a variety of administrative tasks including tallying visitors, sending follow-up and post-event emails, creating/updating excel files capturing outreach and attendance; and assist in other tracking activities as necessary.
• Prepare promotional items and marketing collateral when needed for special or reserved groups.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will have:
• A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in education, public relations, communications, or speech communications; AND two years of experience in public speaking, teaching, and/or presenting to large groups or other public performance fields; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Experience with a water or other governmental agency is desirable but not required.
• Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices and methods of communication and public speaking is desired.
• Experience with educating and or presenting technical information to non-technical audiences.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; and represent West Basin efficiently with industry and professional groups and before public bodies.
• Strong organizational skills to keep track of data and provide reports on outreach metrics.
• Vocal ability to speak for up to eight (8) hours to groups of up to 25 people.
• Experience with audio/visual systems, computers and Microsoft Office, particularly Power Point.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze problems and identify alternative solutions.
• Excellent memory and ability to memorize written information and dialogue.
• The ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with West Basin staff and officials at all levels of the organization, and others encountered in the course of work.
• A strong commitment to working with a wide range of age groups and diverse populations.
• The ability to be creative, energetic and self-motivated, and to take initiative where appropriate.
• The ability to occasionally lift and carry materials up to 25 pounds; kneel, crouch, stand, walk, twist, reach or bend for prolonged periods of time, and occasionally be available at times other than regularly scheduled work hours, such as nights and weekends.
• The ability to be on one’s feet for the majority of scheduled shifts.
• The ability to occasionally lead outdoor tours exposed to varying weather conditions.
• Possession of a valid Class C California Driver's License, proof of insurance and an acceptable driving record are required at the time of appointment and as a condition of continued employment. Employee is required to use his or her own vehicle with mileage reimbursed at the standard IRS rate.
SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION: This part-time, at-will position pays $12.00 - $16.00 per hour, depending on qualifications. This position is eligible to receive 24 hours of paid sick leave each calendar year. After working 1,000 hours in a fiscal year, the position will receive pro-rated vacation, holiday, and sick leave, and is eligible for enrollment in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS).
Applicants must provide a resume and cover letter along with their application.
Application deadline: Monday, July 2, 2018. Apply online at: www.westbasin.org. For questions or additional information, please contact: West Basin Municipal Water District, Human Resources Department, 17140 S. Avalon Boulevard, Suite 210, Carson, CA 90746, (310) 660-6228. Email: email@example.com.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed District Online Application. The most qualified applicants will be invited to participate further in the screening process, which will include a panel interview and possible written exercise.