West Basin Municipal Water District is a global leader in the water industry in water recycling, conservation, water resource management, youth and adult education, and ocean-water desalination. West Basin provides drinking water and recycled water to eight local retail water agencies including four cities, three private water companies and one county water agency. The District serves a population of nearly one million residents in 17 cities and unincorporated areas along the coastal corridor from Palos Verdes to Malibu. The District is governed by an elected five-member Board of Directors and is a member agency of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.
West Basin operates the state-of-the-art Edward C. Little Water Recycling Facility and three satellite locations. It is the largest treatment and water purification facility of its type in the world providing nearly 40 million gallons of water each day to over 300 sites. West Basin utilizes various advanced treatment processes to produce five types of high-quality “designer” waters used for commercial, industrial and landscape purposes, including three ultra-pure waters. The District is also researching environmentally-responsible ocean-water desalination and currently hosts tours at its Water Education Center in Redondo Beach, California and also at the Edward C. Little Recycling Facility.
West Basin is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity in our recruitment process and programs. West Basin is committed to customer service and seeks to provide our customers with the most qualified and exceptional professional services through those we employ, while offering an excellent benefits package to our employees.
THE POSITION: West Basin is seeking an experienced Office Assistant II who under general supervision will perform a wide variety of clerical and office support functions for multiple departments. Duties include, but are not limited to, typing, filing and receptionist duties; receiving, routing, and distributing incoming and outgoing mail; maintaining a variety of files and records; and performing related duties as assigned.
• Operate a computer and standard business software to prepare a variety of materials and documents; type, format, revise, generate, maintain and distribute correspondence, memoranda, forms, reports, lists, logs and other documents.
• Update and maintain assigned computer records and databases; complete and process standard forms related to areas of responsibility; and develop and maintain standard spreadsheets for a variety of purposes.
• Proofread and review typed and other materials for accuracy, completeness and compliance with West Basin standards, policies and procedures; ensure materials, reports and documents for signature are accurate and complete; and distribute or submit pertinent documentation to appropriate sources.
• Prepare, update, organize and maintain a variety of records and files; locate, retrieve, duplicate and distribute copies of reports, forms, records and documents as requested; and reconcile and maintain assigned staff credit card statements.
• Act as West Basin’s receptionist by receiving, screening and routing telephone calls; take and distribute messages; and greet and direct visitors to the appropriate office or staff member.
• Respond to and initiate routine e-mails; handle and respond to routine in-person, telephone and e-mail requests for information, questions and complaints regarding West Basin and various West Basin programs from customers and the public; and refer questions and complaints to appropriate staff when outside the scope of knowledge or authority.
• Coordinate, schedule and make arrangements for a variety of meetings, conferences, outreach events, promotional water/item deliveries, and/or other assigned events; and register conference attendees as requested. Attend and participate in outreach events, as assigned.
• Coordinate, schedule and make arrangements for Metropolitan Water District inspection tours by generating and distributing meeting notices or inspection tour invitations, and manage reservation/reminder calls, as applicable; distribute registration information to tour attendees; assemble, prepare and distribute or coordinate preparation and delivery of related meeting/conference materials, promotional items and/or other assigned items. Schedule, reserve and set up event/meeting locations and equipment; arrange for refreshments or catering as necessary.
• Make and confirm travel arrangements, reservations and conference regis-trations, as requested; complete request forms, authorizations and reimbursements; and prepare itineraries and schedules.
• Open, sort, process and distribute incoming mail and package deliveries; prepare regular and bulk mailings; request, coordinate and schedule special deliveries; retrieve, deliver and send faxes; and copy various documents and materials.
• Maintain and monitor inventory of orders and distribute assigned office supplies and equipment; obtain price quotes and select budgeted items; check deliveries and distribute items to staff, as appropriate; and follow up on payment, shipment and delivery of purchased items.
• Provide backup for other clerical/administrative staff, as required.
The ideal candidate will have:
• A high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent; AND six years of increasingly responsible office administrative or secretarial experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Administrative or secretarial experience in a public agency is desirable.
• Knowledge of office administrative practices and procedures; practices of sound business communication; correct English usage, including spelling, grammar and punctuation; record keeping and filing practices and procedures; and telephone etiquette.
• Knowledge of basic mathematical principles; basic principles of business letter writing; and customer service techniques, practices, and principles.
• Ability to operate a computer and other standard office equipment; organize and maintain files accurately and efficiently; and type and enter data at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
• Ability to respond tactfully, clearly, concisely, and appropriately to inquiries related to area of responsibility; communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing; and use tact, discretion and courtesy in dealing with sensitive situations and upset or dissatisfied individuals.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with West Basin staff, customers, the public and others encountered in the course of work.
• Possession of a valid Class C California Driver's License, proof of insurance and an acceptable driving record are required at the time of appointment and as a condition of continued employment. Employee is required to use his or her own vehicle with mileage reimbursed at the standard IRS rate.
SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION: One vacancy is currently available. The salary range is $48,160 - $60,200 annually, depending on qualifications.
Apply by: May 9, 2018. Apply online at: www.westbasin.org. For questions or additional information, please contact: West Basin Municipal Water District, Human Resources Department, 17140 S. Avalon Boulevard, Suite 210, Carson, CA 90746, (310) 660-6228. Email: email@example.com.