Reporting to the District Manager, the position manages all financial services including investments, financial accounting reporting, balance sheets, budgets, payroll, purchasing, accounts payable & receivables, tap fees, computer system, human resources, as well as all administrative and office functions for the District.
Nature and Scope
The job is performed in a growing resort area that experiences cyclical periods of higher and lower demands on the Water and Sanitation District. There are also several developed areas for which the District provides services. Additionally, a satellite water treatment plant is located in Meridian Lake Park, to assist in meeting the area’s requirements.
This position requires a strong background in computer software, network systems, accounting, office operations, and the ability to supervise. Although there is a cyclical pattern for water production and wastewater treatment, this position is constant in its work cycles. Reporting to the District Manager, this position exercises a high degree of autonomy in the performance of job duties. Keeping the District Manager informed of problems, being available for special projects and communicating on all matters involving the Board of Directors is expected, however, this position has authority to make financial decisions concerning the office operations. Excellent communication skills and negotiation skills are required as the position negotiates insurance policies and bids for business services. When these services are secured, this position is the liaison with associated personnel. A working knowledge of the District Safety Rules and Regulations, as well as active participation in the District Safety Program, is necessary. Support of the District Strategic Plan and its Mission Statement is essential.
- Compiles, prepares, and manages District budgets and ensure operations within budgetary guidelines.
- Compiles financial data, creates and presents reports to the Board of Directors.
- Recommends improvements to financial control systems and office functions.
- Responsible for management and payment of Bond loan programs.
- Directs the investment of the District’s surplus funds and presents selection recommendations to the Board for their approval. Manages the District’s investment portfolios.
- Prepares financial instruments such as costs, payments, etc., for capital projects.
- Performs month-end accounting procedures and closure to balance computerized system to the general ledger, reconciles multiple separate bank accounts, CD’s and money market accounts.
- Responsible for semi-monthly payroll, 401 retirement accounts, and loans, and accompanying reports.
- Oversees all bank deposits, customer accounts, tracks foreclosures/delinquent accounts to apply liens.
- Oversees all accounts payables, receivables, and tracks expense accounts against budgets.
- Prepares corporate 941 taxes, Colorado state taxes, unemployment taxes, and year-end W-2’s.
- Prepares the Trial Balance and works closely with the auditor on the annual audit.
- Maintains and administers the automatic payment systems for customer accounts.
- Maintains all meter readings in the system and generates monthly and quarterly billings. Also able to “trouble shoot” the more difficult inquiries from customers which requires using the Caselle Accounting Government System.
- Oversees all Tap Fee records and the Tap Fee permitting process.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Supervises all office operations including two Administrative Assistants.
- Maintains the computer network and all peripherals.
- Adheres to the Performance Review Program by conducting applicable performance reviews, documentation of performance and assuring training and development is completed.
- Maintains the Caselle Govt Accounting Computer System including software program updates.
- Creates Board Meeting Agendas and disperses to members, prepares Board Meeting minutes.
- Serves as the election official every two years for election of Board of Directors.
- Requests, analyzes, and makes recommendations on proposals for services i.e. business services, auditors.
- Administers insurance for health, dental, vision, and long-term disability for the District.
- Negotiates insurance contracts with providers and administrators. This includes fringe benefits, facility insurance, commercial and automobile insurance.
- Assists with Public Relations within the community including customer communications, by producing quarterly newsletters, and acting as webmaster for the District website, www.mcbwsd.com.
- Anticipates office operation needs and purchases all office and computer supplies.
- Establishes Records Retention Policy of when, where, and how long files must be maintained including those dictated per federal law.
- Performs additional duties as requested to assist the District in achieving its overall goals.
- Provides assistance and support to the District Manager.
Salary and Benefits
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive Finance and Accounting experience of which 3 years in a supervisory capacity is preferred. Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or equivalent is preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of general accepted accounting principles, auditing standards, internal controls and management information systems required. Experience with the Caselle Accounting Government System or a double-entry accounting system is beneficial.
- Specific experience in accounting to include: accounts payable, accounts receivable, month-end accounting procedures, balancing the accounting system to the general ledger, budget preparation, investment reporting and producing timely payroll services.
- Must possess the ability to effectively utilize a personal computer, peripherals and related word processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and problem-solving skills required.
- Interaction with company Board of Directors beneficial.
- Proven ability to organize and manage competing priorities.
- Administration of a Benefit Program helpful.
- Possess a valid Colorado State Driver’s License.
- Excellent benefit package includes medical, dental, vision, holidays, vacation, sick days, life insurance, retirement plan, employee home ownership program, ski pass, ski locker.
- Starting salary $50,000 to $85,000 DOQ
Full job description is available at www.mcbwsd.com
. Please submit cover letter and resume to Mt. Crested Butte Water and Sanitation District, PO Box 5740, Mt. Crested Butte, CO 81225 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
. Position is open until filled. MCBWSD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.