CLOSE DATE: Open until filled. Please apply for immediate consideration
SALARY: $107,515.20 - $137,196.80 Annually
Salary ranges for all full-time classifications are scheduled to increase by 6% effective 07/01/23. In addition, the district will provide cost-of-living adjustments between 2% - 4% effective 07/01/24 and 07/01/25 as well as a 2% salary adjustment effective 07/01/24.
Helix Water District, La Mesa, CA is seeking an experienced, innovative leader to join our team as an Inspection Supervisor. This exempt, supervisory-level position will work at the district's Administration Office located in La Mesa, CA (located in East San Diego County).
The Inspection Supervisor plans, schedules, lays out, directs and supervises the work of field engineering staff engaged in performing detailed inspections of complex, multi-disciplined public works and waterworks construction projects. Inspection Supervisor performs a leadership role in setting section goals and objectives, providing strategic direction, coaching and counseling within the field engineering section.
Overview of Responsibilities
- Plans, schedules, lays out, supervises and inspects the construction of multi-disciplined public works and waterworks construction projects performed by contractors within the district service boundaries; determines work and project priorities in consultation with the engineering manager.
- Supervises and coaches assigned staff and provides leadership and direction to achieve section goals and individual performance results.
- Participates in the assignment of work duties/tasks and training of assigned personnel; provides day-to-day leadership; establishes performance requirements and personal development targets for assigned staff; regularly monitors performance and provides coaching for performance improvement and professional development; subject to management approval, recommends disciplinary action to address performance deficiencies, in accordance with the district’s personnel policies and labor group memorandums of understanding.
- Independently acts as liaison between the district and outside contractors on capital improvement construction projects, including but not limited to, tanks/reservoirs, pump stations, treatment facilities and pipelines.
- Performs advanced journey-level duties in the inspection, monitoring, testing and assessing of construction performance, and records construction activities to ensure compliance with contract documents.
- Maintains and develops project documentation through daily status reports; charts progress of contract completion and schedules via regular project meetings.
- May be assigned duties and responsibilities as an inspector, project manager or the engineering manager.
For a complete list of job responsibilities, please visit https://www.hwd.com/171/Careers
. Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a candidate with strong technical skills but who is also a strategic thinker, motivator and who values each employee's unique contributions. Someone who will work with staff to ensure high-performance and a customer service-oriented work environment which aligns with our mission and values:
- Be a TEAM PLAYER that works cooperatively and effectively with staff and utilizes strong leadership skills to mentor, coach and influence a diverse group of team members to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Have SOUND JUDGMENT, strong initiative, motivation and decision-making skills.
- Be an excellent verbal and written COMMUNICATOR.
- Be collaborative, flexible, enthusiastic, resilient and resourceful.
Qualified candidates will have training and experience substantially equivalent to graduation from high school or GED, supplemented by college-level course work in civil engineering, public works construction or related fields. Candidates will have ten years of progressively responsible experience in public works construction or equivalent, which includes at least five years of experience independently directing and controlling the quality of complex construction projects. Certification/License Requirements:
- A valid State of California State Water Resources Control Board Water Distribution Operator Certificate, Grade 3 (D3), or ability to acquire within two years.
- Possession of an APWA Certified Public Infrastructure Inspector (CPII) certification, or ability to obtain within one year.
- A valid Class C California driver’s license and ability to maintain insurability under the district’s vehicle insurance policy.
To be considered for the Inspection Supervisor, please complete the online application and supplemental questionnaire and view a complete list of job responsibilities by visiting our career section at https://www.hwd.com/171/Careers
Resumes are not accepted in lieu of the online application.