Reporting to the Assistant General Manager of Operations and Maintenance, the Director of Water Reclamation manages the Water Reclamation Department including directing and implementing comprehensive strategies and programs for the operation and maintenance of the District’s four wastewater reclamation plants and wastewater collection systems. The Director of Water Reclamation has seven direct reports and leads a department of approximately 100 employees. The incumbent exercises significant authority and independence in managing, implementing, and integrating a broad range of functions, programs, and staff.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate for the position of Director of Water Reclamation will have a broad-based knowledge of the theory, principles, practices, and techniques of wastewater treatment, reclamation, and civil engineering design involved in the construction, maintenance, and operation of large and complex wastewater collection, treatment and reclamation systems. In addition to being approachable, the successful candidate will be an exceptional listener, strong communicator, and an accomplished presenter.
As head of a large department in a fast-paced, customer service focused organization, the Director of Water Reclamation must be a visionary, inspirational leader who develops strategies for improving the effectiveness and efficiencies of the District’s Water Reclamation Department, gains support for them, and ensures that they are implemented. The incumbent will be a proponent of succession planning who enjoys developing and mentoring staff. They will have a desire to be part of a high-performance team that places a high value on honesty, integrity, and collaboration with a passion for incorporating best practices into daily operations of a large and complex public organization.
CHALLENGES & OPPORTUNITIES
The employees in the Water Reclamation Department work in the field and at several different work sites throughout the District. The Director must be effective at creating and maintaining a strong sense of teamwork among employees to engender commitment to EMWD’s mission, vision, and guiding principles.
The regulatory environment in California is complex and restrictive. The Director of Water Reclamation must be able to successfully manage the wastewater treatment and wastewater collection systems for EMWD within a challenging and frequently changing regulatory context including emerging PFAS/PFOA and digester gas utilization regulations.
In response to the State’s policy to promote all feasible means of energy and water conservation and all feasible uses of alternative energy and water supply sources, EMWD is studying options for digester gas utilization and implementing potable water reuse projects.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in engineering, chemistry, biology/microbiology, or a related field. An advanced degree is desirable but not required. Ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in the operation and maintenance or design of a Class V complex wastewater treatment and reclamation system, five (5) of which should be in a management capacity.
- A valid California driver’s license and the ability to maintain insurability under the District’s vehicle insurance policy.
- A State of California Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator’s Certificate, Grade V is desired.
- Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California is desired.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The annual salary range for this position is $158,808.00 - $197,766.40, DOQ. In recognition of the value its employees deliver to the organization, EMWD offers a generous compensation and benefits package which includes:
- Cal PERS Retirement – Classic Members: 2% at 55 benefit formula, employee pays the 7% contribution. New Members: 2% at 62 benefit formula, employee current contribution is 7.0%. EMWD does not participate in Social Security. Retiree Medical Coverage provided through CalPERS with EMWD providing the PEMHCA minimum.
- Deferred Compensation – Two programs are offered to employees: 401(a) – EMWD provides annual contributions of $1,180 and a 457 voluntary plan where EMWD provides a match to the 401(a) equal to 4.0% of employee’s annual salary or 5.0% for new hires who do not qualify under the PERS Classic tier.
- Dental Plan – Full coverage for family in the base plan at no cost with EMWD contributing up to $1,560 annually. Employees have the option to elect an enhanced plan with the employee paying the difference through voluntary payroll deductions.
- Health Care and Child/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account available through payroll deductions.
- Life Insurance – Equal to annual salary up to a maximum of $250,000 at no cost. Employees may purchase up to an additional $500,000 in life insurance with EMWD paying 50% of the premium.
- Medical Plans – Several health plans are offered, with EMWD currently contributing up $2,009/month towards the premiums for employee and family; medical in-lieu program is available with required proof of coverage.
- Supplemental accident, cancer, and short-term disability insurance available through payroll deductions.
- Vision Plan – Full coverage for family at no cost.
- Paid Time Off (PTO) – 176 hours per year, increasing after year 5 completed.
- Holidays – 10 paid holidays and 2 floating holidays per year.
- Bereavement Leave – up to 36 hours.
- Tuition reimbursement up to $5,250 annually.
- Employee Assistance Program – Available to employees and their families.
- Available telecommute opportunities to qualifying employees on a case-by-case basis when operationally feasible and accordance with District’s Telecommute Policy.
HOW TO APPLY
This recruitment is open until November 12, 2021; however, first consideration and resume review will begin on November 4, 2021, interviews will be scheduled shortly thereafter. Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com.
For questions and inquiries, please contact:
Telephone: (951) 928-3777 Ext. 4586
Telephone: (951) 928-3777 Ext. 4214